Nov 26, 2012

Venice, City That I Love

Our Venice trip had been on the calendar for months. I had heard about the “sinking” city, the great city that sits on water, the city of love. I looked forward to the hotel, the gala, the little taste of vacation for which I was seriously longing. But as with most trips I go on, I didn’t do any research beforehand. I didn’t do much planning as most of it was already done for us and I didn’t think too much about the many little details that collectively create the magnificence that is Venice. Instead, I decided to let the city take me where it would, to wait to feel whatever I would feel once I had arrived and experienced it’s wonder on my own.

I didn’t have to wait long. As soon as stepping foot onto the stairs leading down from the train station I was struck. While Nicco sought to figure out the water bus system, I stood staring, looking wildly around as I walked. The magical atmosphere that envelops Venice’s visitors isn’t overrated. It isn’t talked about in stories and books for no apparent reason. It’s real, it exists and it hugged me for the entire five days we were there. Yes, Venice hugged me. Needless to say, I eagerly embraced it back. It’s been a week and a half since we left (though it seems like more) and I’m not being dramatic when I say my heart still hurts for Venice. Is that crazy?! 

"If you read a lot, nothing is as great as you've imagined. Venice is - Venice is better."
Fran Lebowitz

There's more to come on Wednesday! Is there any particular city for which you've felt so strongly?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! We love hearing your thoughts!!